Monday 2 February 2015

#bookadayuk February 1st

#bookadayuk

This hashtag on Twitter has (albeit, in all likelihood, only temporarily) inspired me to resurrect this blog. So, here goes.

Day 1 - "Book that defined my teenage years"

The one that comes closest to fulfilling this description is "The Hobbit" (I don't really need to say 'by J. R. R. Tolkien, do I? What do you mean "you just did."?). My first memory of this book is watching, and being enthralled by, Bernard Cribbins reading it on Jackanory. From memory I would have said this was when I was around 6 years old, placing it in 1980, but swift recourse to Google determines that it was 1979 so I didn't do too badly after all in dredging that up. 

Anyway, that was my first encounter with it but during my teenage years I must have read it, without exaggeration, 30 times. My reverence for it almost certainly goes a long way towards explaining how disappointed I was with Peter Jackson's movies. The bits that worked, for me, were all Tolkien's original material. All the Jackson-imagined parts were weirdly clunky and incongruous - like gluing hands onto a chicken.

Enough rambling, it's late, it's halftime at the Superbowl, and I'm going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment