Friday 19 July 2013

Final thoughts on...

"The Engines of God" by Jack McDevitt

This was a relatively straight-forward, workmanlike piece of hard-ish science fiction which was unusual in having archaeology (albeit of ancient alien civilisations) as the main hinge around which the story turned. Off-hand I can't think of any other large works which had archaeology in this pivotal role. Tonally, it reminded me strongly of Arthur C. Clarke's "Rendezvous with Rama" with its central mystery of purpose and its sense of wonder at the unknown rationale behind the works of the alien builders.

Overall I enjoyed it despite the lack of character development and rather unidimensional dialogue. I'll read the follow-up novel, "Deepsix", sooner rather than later but more because I enjoy McDevitt's particular fascination with archaeology and mystery rather than any great liking for, or desire to find out the next chapter in the life of, the central character of Priscilla "Hutch" Hutchins.

Score: ...hmmm...I gave it 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads but here, I'll be slightly more charitable and give it 70/100

No comments:

Post a Comment